Here’s a special announcement for the 2017 Annual SPDC Scholarship Scheme. The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC) is delighted to announce the seventh annual SPDC Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme for applicants from Rivers, Delta, Imo and Bayelsa States. The objective of the scheme is to provide an opportunity for qualifying students from these Niger Delta states to further their education in courses that are relevant to the oil and gas industry.
In the six years of this programme, 60 students have won the opportunity to study at top rated universities in the UK on an all-expenses paid scholarship.
For the academic year commencing September, 2017, SPDC in partnership with three universities in the UK–Imperial College London, University College, London and the University of Leeds—will award ten scholarships for one year post-graduate MSc studies.
Courses That Qualify for Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme (2017 Annual SPDC Scholarship Scheme)
The following courses qualify for award of SPDC scholarship at the three institutions
Imperial College London
- MSc PETROLEUM ENGINEERING
- MSc PETROLEUM GEOSCIENCE
- MSc PETROLEUM GEOPHYSICS
University College London
- MSc CHEMICAL/PROCESS ENGINEERING
- MSc MECHANICAL ENGINEERING (Rotating Equipment or Metallurgy)
- MSc CIVIL ENGINEERING (Geotechnics)
University Of Leeds
- MSc EXPLORATION GEOPHYSICS
- MSc ELECTRONIC/ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
- To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must:
- Display sound intellectual ability and leadership potentials
- Meet the individual universities’ English Language requirements (usually at least 6.5 in IELTS score valid for Sept. 2017 admission). Please note that TOEFL is no longer recognised by most UK universities. Candidates are advised that failure to meet each university’s English Language requirement at the time of selection may invalidate their application.
- Be aged between 21-28 years by 30/09/2017
- Be an indigene of Rivers, Delta, Imo or Bayelsa states (documentary proof of this will be required and will be verified)
- Currently reside in Nigeria
- Return to Nigeria on completion of the proposed programme of study
- Have obtained a university degree (at least of equivalent standard to a UK Second Class Upper (Honours degree)
- Not have studied previously in the UK or any other developed country
- Have a Nigerian international passport valid to end December 2018
- Be neither a current nor former employee (who has left employment less than 5 years before) of SPDC or the Royal Dutch Shell Group of Companies
- Not be a spouse, child or ward of staff of Shell Companies in Nigeria
- Submit application for admission to the any of the prospective universities for any of the qualifying courses
- Application forms for the scholarship will ONLY be available through the websites of the participating universities following an offer of admission by the university
- Universities will process applications and select candidates to attend interviews before being considered for final selection
- Completed scholarship application forms must reach participating universities not later than 30th January 2017.
This SPDC scholarship will cover tuition fees, one economy return flight ticket from Nigeria to the UK and a contribution towards living expenses only*.
MORE INFORMATION ON SPECIFIC COURSE ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS CAN BE OBTAINED from the websites of the individual universities.
- Please note that the stipends are based on the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) published living rates and are limited to this only
- This is a non-committal scholarship. Note that NEITHER SPDC NOR any of its affiliate companies is obligated to offer employment of any sort to any candidate upon graduation neither are successful candidates bonded to SPDC for any period of time on account of the scholarship award.
University Scholarship Scheme (2017 Annual SPDC Scholarship Scheme)
Education, as all parents and guardians admit, is a long-term investment with an equally long gestation period, but it is one of the best legacies to bequeath to individuals, groups and society. That has been the belief of Shell Nigeria since 1952. In 2014, $14.8 million was invested in scholarships by the Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) and Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company (SNEPCo).
The University Scholarship Scheme, a programme run by SPDC on behalf of the NNPC/Shell/Elf/Agip Joint Venture, makes a quiet but very profound commentary on the company’s interest in the promotion of capacity building in the country.
Every year, more than 4,000 Nigerian undergraduates write aptitude tests to join the ever growing list of students which Shell Nigeria supports in Nigerian Universities. The applicants are shortlisted on the basis of the national SSCE and JAMB examination results. This is followed by an aptitude test at the Port Harcourt, Warri, Enugu, Lagos and Abuja centres.
There are two categories of the Scholarship Scheme, the National Merit Award (NM), open to Nigerian undergraduates and Areas of Operation Merit Award (AOM), for students from communities in which Shell Nigeria operates. Only first year students are eligible for the awards in both categories.
An average of 16,000 applicants respond to advertisements by Shell Nigeria every year, inviting qualified candidates to apply for the scholarships which are tenable only in Nigerian Universities.APPLICATION DETAILS CLICK HERE to APPLY to the 2016/2017 University Scholarship Award Scheme
Application for the 2016/2017 University Scholarship Award closes on December 31 2016.
For more Information, visit the Shell Nigeria website at www.shell.com.ng